Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Failure to thrive


I took Jaedyn in last week for her well-child check only to discover that she has only gained close to 3 pounds since she was born. Her weight at birth was 8 lbs 10 oz and on Friday she only weighed 11 lbs 6 oz. We have always gotten comments on how small Jaedyn is, and have ourselves been concerned with how small she is, but nothing scares you more than when the pediatrician diagnoses your child with "Failure to thrive". It's not that Jaedyn doesn't eat - because she does - a lot. Our biggest problem is that she refuses to drink from a bottle or sippy cup. She is fine to eat baby food, and really prefers to eat "big people" food from the table, but will only get her liquids from nursing. So, yesterday we spent the day up at Primary Children's Hospital drawing blood, doing a sweat test and trying to get Jaedyn to "go" on demand for a urinalysis. The doctor is running a bunch of tests to see if there is something else going on. Otherwise, Jaedyn is VERY active, reaching her milestones (she started waving "bye-bye" 2 weeks ago - so very cute) and is an alert and happy baby. She is also VERY stubborn (I think she got this from her Dad). I have an appointment this Friday to follow up on the test results and in the meantime am trying to feed her as much as she will eat and trying to coax her to drink from a bottle or sippy cup. As a mother I am feeling very guilty that this is all my fault. I hope that there is a logical explanation for her "failure to thrive" and that it is not a life-long issue she will have to deal with. I love my little Jadybug and hope all turns out o.k. with her - my fingers are crossed and my faith is in my Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

thetoddfamily said...

jadey bug has been such a blessing into our family and everything will be okay with her! :) she couldn't have asked to be sent to a better family- especially to a better mom!!!you are the greatest!love you!

houstonandfam said...

I'm sure all will be ok with jayden, It is the curse of the mother to constantly feel guilt at everything that does or doesnt happen. In life every challenge is here for us to grow and to learn.What a sweet baby and family you have. She is in very good hands, our prayers are with you!